Dandruff is a common scalp condition that causes an excessive amount of white or grey dry skin flakes to form on the scalp. One way to alleviate the symptoms of dandruff is with expert anti-dandruff shampoos such as CLEAR Complete Active Care. However, if you’re looking for a home remedy for dandruff, you can also try one of these natural alternative methods.
Each of these methods tackles a different cause of dandruff, such as dry skin and malassezia build up. Read on to find out more.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR RINSE
An apple cider vinegar rinse can be a very effective home remedy for dandruff symptoms. It reduces the presence of the malassezia fungus that irritates the scalp. When mixed with cool water it also washes away the build-up of dead skin that eventually leads to dandruff flakes, without clogging up the pores on your scalp.
To make an apple cider vinegar rinse, you’ll need:
• ½ Cup of warm water
• ½ Cup of apple cider vinegar
1. Mix the apple cider vinegar and warm water in a cup.
2. Pour the mixture over your hair, gently scrubbing and massaging your scalp for several minutes.
3. Rinse thoroughly with clean water. Wait between 8 and 12 hours before washing your hair with your regular shampoo.
Treating your hair with coconut oil is another effective home remedy for dandruff and also works well on damaged and dry scalps and hair. Not only is coconut oil naturally anti-fungal, but it also contains vitamin E, lauric and capric acids that are naturally present in human hair. These factors make coconut oil ideal for penetrating the hair shaft past the cuticle, repairing damage and reconditioning dry scalps and hair from the inside out.
To use coconut oil as a home remedy for dandruff, you’ll need:
• 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil
• CLEAR Complete Active Care
1. Apply coconut oil directly onto your hair, gently massaging into the scalp.
2. Leave the coconut oil in for 1 hour.
3. Shampoo as normal, remembering to rinse well once complete.
4. Repeat this treatment for up to a week if dandruff symptoms persist.
TEA TREE OIL
Tea tree oil is an essential oil known for its natural ability to tackle the bacteria and fungi. When applied to the scalp, tea tree oil unclogs hair follicles and combats microorganisms that cause itchiness, irritation and flakiness. Regular usage effectively moisturizes the hair and scalp, keeping them clear of dead skin cells and dirt.
To use tea tree oil as a home remedy for dandruff, you’ll need:
• 10 - 15 drops of tea tree oil
• Coconut oil
• CLEAR Complete Active Care
• A small application bottle
1. Take a small application bottle and fill it ¾ of the way with coconut oil.
2. Add 10 – 15 drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
3. Massage this mixture into your hair, making sure the oils cover as much of the scalp as possible.
4. Leave the oils in overnight.
5. Wash your hair the next day with shampoo and conditioner.
Using home remedies on your scalp and hair can be great ways of getting rid of dandruff symptoms. Try one of our home remedies today and watch hair become clean, clear and dandruff symptom free.